- Do you enjoy talking with other parents?
- Are you able to relate to special needs in a positive manner, interested in sharing lived experiences and able to “LISTEN” carefully with maturity and empathy?
- Are you confident in talking about your adjustment to your child’s special needs, diagnosis and family situation?
- Are you open-minded and non-judgmental?
- Do you believe you have something to offer other parents/family members who have children with special needs?
Our Listening & Learning training is the first step to becoming a Support Parent. This workshop offers you the chance to:
- Realize that you are not alone, in your journey
- Address emotions, starting with your own
- Understand our Match Process and your responsibilities as a Support Parent
- Appreciate that Family TIES is here for you, too
Being a volunteer support parent is a reward all in itself. We rely on our trained volunteer support parents to provide two emotional support calls to parents, using thoughtful listening skills and personal sharing to reinforce, we are not alone. Listening and Learning Trainings are available in group settings or can be completed at home. The trainings consist of our traveling back in time activity, an opportunity for parents to remember the time in which they first learned of their child’s special needs. You will also learn how to prepare for your calls as a support parent including starting the conversation, using open-ended questions, using good listening skills and how to tell your story.
We rely on our trained volunteer Support Parents to provide emotional support calls to parents, using thoughtful listening skills and personal sharing to reinforce, we are not alone. If you think our program is a good fit for you, the next step is to complete our support parent training by contacting your Family TIES of Massachusetts Parent-to-Parent Coordinator. We look forward to getting to know you and hope that you will consider joining our network of volunteer support parents.
Take The Next Step In Family Engagement – Become a Volunteer Support Parent Today!
Call 1-800-905 TIES or Email P2P@FCSN.ORG